Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Journey of My First Time Lapse Video

The Video: Flowers Blooming

Inception:

I still remember the first time we got a computer to our house. I had just finished my 7th grade and my brother, his eamcet(some lame exam), both with flying colors and exceeding expectations. And the gift was “my computer”. I had no clue what the possibilities of the computer were, back then. All I knew was paint! So after painting a house, a smiley face, a Christmas tree and a lot of random stuff, I got tired and started exploring the free softwares that were shipped with the desktop. I came across the free encyclopedia Britannica, gift for the purchase. Encyclopedia eh! Full of text. Boring!( back then :\).. I wanted to see pictures and videos and searched for all the video files and I vaguely remember that there was something about birds in “galopigas island” (I wonder why I remember that name so well). So anyways there was this one video of a purple flower blooming right from the bud to full bloom and I thought wow! I would so that someday. And of course I completely forgot about it right away :D.

Idle Brain is no longer the devils workshop!

And soo.. 9 years later, I find myself jobless on a weekend (well not literally jobless). Trying to escape from my oh-so-not-happy-thoughts, I suddenly realized that I had been staring at a flower too long with my eyes out of focus – and OMG the flower had started blooming, I could see its little petals unfurling right in front of my eyes and BAM!! The encyclopedia flower blooming video suddenly popped up into my head and then another neuron said time lapse video (outta nowhere). And well.. what was I waiting for?.. I dashed into my room, got my camera and a Tripod, all too excited to start my “first ever timelapse video” , a wish which has been lurking around the corner of my head since 9 years(I wonder how brain works!). And boy! Was that Easy!!(Sarcasm) Read on.. I will be giving few pointers in the end for shooting timelapse video.

Out of Focus:

And so it had begun. I set up the tripod, fit the camera onto it and was clicking away every 10 to 20 seconds for half hour, only to realize in the end that the camera was not on “macro” and the flower was completely out of focus. Damn! Now I had to wait for another weekend  - the flower only starts blooming from 4 pm to 6 pm and I was always gonna be in office at that time during the weekdays. Well, there wasn’t much I could do other than wait for the next weekend. Attempt1 unsuccessful!

Shake it Baby

The next weekend had arrived and with it, arrived my attemp2. This time I was very careful abt the camera set in the right mode and started clicking away.. so sure that I would finish it this weekend. And well.. bad luck strikes again and I tripped over the tripod, the camera position had gone haywire and my timelapse video remained unfinished. No worries, I can still try it out the next weekend rt?!

Wind - Thou heartless Bitch

Weekend with attempt3 has started. This time i made sure the camera mode was macros and my feet weren’t anywhere near the tripod, but the wind started playing the villain. With every whoosh, the flower moved outta its default position. Attempt3 gone to dogs. As always, I consoled myself with the though - next weekend baby!

Battery OVER

Attempt4: battery gave up on me halfway through the blooming. I frantically searched for a way to charge the camera when its connected to laptop, but couldn’t find one. I was getting frustrated now. Helpless.. having to wait for another weekend. I put the batteries in the charger and plugged em in all through the week in the store room so that no1 would disturb it.

Battery Trolled

Well, weekend 5 came with calm sky and no wind yayy!! But bad news was just waiting around the corner- when I went into the store room to get my batteries, the plug had come loose and the lil yellow light that says “charging” was off. God knows when it had come loose, I hadn’t checked it the whole week. But then again, it was blinking when I had put in for charging, so lets hope for the best and well.. the universe seems to be conspiring against me and in no time the display on the camera starts to blink away the “low battery” signal. And suddenly it occurred to me, why don’t I switch the camera off in that 10 to 20 seconds gap when im not clicking the photo. And it worked!! Battery trolled! Oh yeah!! And though I had finished the full flower blooming, I was still not yet satisfied with the video. I was ready for the final attempt and I waited for the last weekend..

Triumph

Finally attempt6 has lived up to my expectations. I used photolapse to stich the photos into a video and the surprising part is that I could use the half done video from all my previous attempts to make  full fledged one–and it turned out better since it had the flower blooming from different angles. Here’s the link. Trust me – There is no such thing as Time Waste, Everything u do WILL someday come in handy!

Tips for TimeLapse Photography

  • Choose your subject such that 60% of the frame is static and only 40%(even less is better) is moving.
  • Use a software for timelapse photography which takes snapshots by remote capture :P (which i found out later)
  • Avoid taking outdoor snapshots for long as the sunlight changes and the video would become flashy
  •  Use YouTube-stabilizer for the video - it does wonders.
  • Try and confine your video to a closed room with uniform lighting and not much wind throughout the video

1 comment:

  1. Where there is a will, there is a way through all six attempts. Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete